This 1910 streetcar stop located at what is now 8th and Charlotte, is three blocks west of Metro Transit Authority’s new facility, the “Music City Central” terminal.
Photo Courtesy, Tennessee State Library And Archives
By Betsy Thorpe
In the 1870’s one of Nashville’s earliest forms of public transportation developed,when mule drawn streetcars transported commuters around downtown Nashville. By 1910 streetcars, owned by Nashville Railway & Light Co. established service to communities outside Nashville’s city limits. Electric streetcars (or trolley’s)provided reliable and affordable transportation from newly developed suburbs such as West Nashville’s Sylvan Park, to workplaces located in downtown Nashville or in the city’s outlying industrial areas.