By Betsy Thorpe
In 1925 Hillsboro Village was a thriving streetcar suburb, located three miles south of downtown Nashville. The village was home to many businesses, including a H.G. Hills grocery store, a Standard Oil gas station and the newly opened silent film house, The Hillsboro Theatre. The theatre utilized the most modern projection equipment available and housed Nashville’s largest stage and soon became a popular venue for films, concerts and live theatre.
Today it is known as the Belcourt Theatre, and exists as Nashville’s only operating traditional neighbourhood movie house and concert hall.