By Betsy Thorpe
1. Use cloth or paper bags when shopping.
2. Purchase products that use minimal packing materials.
3. Buy products packed in recycled packaging (look for the recycled symbol).
4. Avoid using disposable items like diapers, cups, eating utensils, batteries and ink pens.
5. Use cloth napkins and towels.
6. Avoid the use of Styrofoam cups and plates. (Styrofoam is Dow chemicals trademarked name for items made of materials containing polystyrene it is flammable and is considered a hazardous waste.
7. Buy items packed in easily recycled containers like, cardboard, aluminum, steel, glass, and plastic 1 and 2.
10. Check labels for chemical ingredients, avoid products made of chemicals that harm plant and animal life.