By Betsy Thorpe
With a clear vision and a strong commitment from its board, staff, and volunteers, The Tennessee Preservation Trust continues to expand its commitment to helping protect the state’s historic resources.
One of the oldest sites on the endangered list is The Dickson County Courthouse. The structure, located in Charlotte was built in 1833. Also listed is the Niota Depot,in McMinn County. The depot was erected in 1854 on the East Tennessee & Georgia Railroad line and is believed to be the oldest existing train depot in Tennessee. Cheatham County’s Kingston Springs Hotel is one of the few remaining hotel and resort-era complexes. It first opened in the early 1890s, and was placed on this years endangered list as a result of the deterioration that has occurred following its many years of neglect . The Columbia Train Depot, in Maury County offered service from 1905 to 1960. An offer to move the depot to St. Louis threatens the historic integrity of the railroad depot. The Rippavilla Plantation Slave House, in Maury County is on of the few original slave cabins left in the state. A proposal that would allow roads across the site could force the removal of this historic building.
For information on all ten historic sites listed on the The Tennessee Trust’s 2009 endangered list read Gordon Belt’s article here.