At a meeting on June 30, Bellevue’s Rotary Club voted to disband their local district chapter. This fall, under the leadership of President In Exile Arthur McKew the club distributed their funds to several local charities and community outreaches. Dividing more than six thousand dollars among organizations such as Faith Family Medical, The Bellevue Food Bank, Saint Lukes Community House, The Bellevue Public Library, The Homework Hotline, Fifty Forward and the Bellevue Community Center, the good works of the now defunct local Rotary Club, will continue to benefit their city and their community.
The world’s first service club, the Rotary Club of Chicago, was formed on 23 February 1905 by Paul P. Harris, an attorney who wished to capture in a professional club the same friendly spirit he had felt in the small towns of his youth. The Rotary name derived from the early practice of rotating meetings among members’ offices. In 1932, Rotarian Herbert J. Taylor created The Four-Way Test, a code of ethics adopted by the Rotary eleven years later. The test, which has been translated into more than one hundred languages, asks the following questions: Is it the Truth?, Is it Fair to all concerned?, Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?, Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?, questions that remain central to all Rotarians. Today, more than one million Rotarians belong to over thirty two thousand Rotary clubs in more than two hundred countries and geographical areas. Internationally the Rotary has raised over eight hundred million dollars to help eradicate Polio world wide. Internationally, Rotary Districts also work to provide thousands of graduate (masters degrees) scholarships to students to attend school in a country other the their own.
Rotarians are business and professional leaders who take an active role in their communities. A Rotary club contains a diverse group of professional leaders from the community that the club serves. Anyone interested in becoming a member of the local Rotary District should contact the Green Hills Rotary Club, they meet on Friday Mornings for Breakfast at 7:00 am at the historic Elliston Place Soda Shop, located in Nashville at 2111 Elliston Place.